There is a framed poster that hangs in the exam room with pictures of some of the different kinds of things that can go wrong with your eyes. It shows images of eye infections, allergies, and reactions, some mild pictures, and some that kind of freak people out.
When patients mention it, I say in a light-hearted, joking way, "That is what happens when people don't take care of their contacts."
Well, the US FDA and Department of Health and Human Services has a similar idea, but definitely more education. Watch this video:
This video explains some key points:
- Germs are found in water.
- Avoid water completely while in contact lenses (yes, no swimming)
- Use only fresh contact lens solution.
- Throw away your case regularly
- Contact your eye doctor if you are having any problems.
If you follow these guidelines, you will reduce the likelihood of having any serious complications from you contacts. If you have more questions, do not be afraid to call us at (813) 792-0637.
Nathan Bonilla-Warford, OD
Bright Eyes Family Vision Care
Located in the Westchase area of Tampa.