The Vision First Foundation is an organization that was founded by Janet Hughes. I got to know her when I lived in Chicago. She has long been a passionate advocate for pediatric vision, owing her experience to her daughter Amy after she was diagnosed with amblyopia.
Janet and the Vision First Foundation have worked hard in Illinois to ensure that children are able to go to school with the clear vision they need to succeed. The latest effort is a petition to upgrade the form used for pediatric vision exams to include the following:
• Designed for the parent and teacher.
• Provides education on pediatric vision.
• Suitable for recommended and required eye exams.
• Emphasizes a comprehensive eye and vision examination.
• Illustrates eye health, visual acuity, refractive evaluation, and visual efficiency.
• Accompanies pre-written letters for schools.
• Contains a vision screening disclaimer.
• Includes a Reference Page for parents and teachers.
• Represents high standards of eye care.
• Brings meaning and purpose to an eye examination.
I took a moment to view and sign the petition. I encourage you to do the same.
Also, if you'd like to watch a short video on the difference between screenings and eye exams, click here.
Nathan Bonilla-Warford, OD
Bright Eyes Family Vision Care
Located in the Westchase area of Tampa.